www.flickr.com
Maid Mirawyn's Photos Maid Mirawyn's Photos

Friday, July 15, 2005

Going on a treasure hunt...

My husband gave me a Garmin iQue last year as a combination graduation (Bachelor of Arts in Fine Art, btw) and birthday gift. I've always loved scavenger hunts, so I was really eager to try geocaching. Well, somehow, I have never gotten around to actually trying it! I can't believe it, considering how much I love parks and day hikes.

I'm going up to Chattanooga to visit the aquarium next weekend, and it just seems like a perfect opportunity to do some caching. But my whole family (mom, sister, brother, husband) is going with me, so I better know what I'm doing.

This weekend, I'm going! I went online at lunch and found out there are dozens of them in my area of suburban Atlanta! In fact, I was able to figure out the general location of three in my area strictly from the description. How can it get any easier?

I hope to get several done this weekend, at least those three. I can't wait!

By the way, if you're interested in geocaching, scavenger hunts, or rubber stamps, check out Letterboxing North America! Letterboxing combines all of these in a really fun, unique way. The cache contains a rubber stamp and notebook; you bring your own stamp, a notebook, and an ink pad. You stamp the logbook, add the date, and then stamp your book with the stamp in the cache.

Most of these hunts don't use GPS, but I have seen letterbox entries at geocaching, too. Now I have a motivation to hurry up and carve the "personal" stamp I've been meaning to create for a year!

No comments: